Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sci/Tech Blog Analytical Reflection

Though the composition of my blog in its entirety was a compilation of all the critical texts, examples and class discussion combined, the two texts I kept in mind constantly while writing it were “Accommodating Science: The Rhetorical Life of Scientific Facts,” by Jeanne Fahnestock and “Blogging: Digital Media and Society Series” by Jill Walker Rettburg.

Rettberg’s text discussed the fine line between blogging being considered a medium or a genre. She claims that “scholars have suggested that, rather than looking at the internet as a single medium, it makes more sense to consider different authoring software as providing different media” (Rettberg 32). She explains that the actual blog itself is the medium, however, what is written on the blog determines the genre of it. With that in mind, I intended for my text to be in the blog medium, evidently, and in a “science for the general public” genre. That is what I aimed for as I wrote it, and I attempted to make sure I satisfied those characteristics.

Furthermore, Fahnestock’s text about accommodating science to better fit the public sphere resonated with me as well. Fahnestock was much more lenient than the counter-part article we read, “Ecospeak: Rhetoric and Environmental Politics in America” by M. Jimmie Killingsworth and Jacqueline S. Palmer. Fahnestock claims that “the science accommodator is not telling an untruth; he [she] simply selects only the information that serves his [her] epideictic purpose” (Fahenstock). Thus, I chose to remember and apply her principles as I was writing my blog. I am not a scientist, or even a science-inclined person. With that said, I attempted to find a topic that I was comfortable and knowledgeable enough to speak about, without compromising my credibility to my audience.I believe I helped put things into perspective for a public audience, while not mimicking or simply reiterating the concepts I read about.

Grant-Davie’s article was crucial to the build up of my blog as well. I consistently asked myself what my exigence, constraints and audiences (all kinds) were, and if I was using the proper terminology and syntax to target the intended audience. "The rhetorical situation" as described and elaborated on by Grant Davie was the backbone of my post. At points I would stop and check if I could still identify the 5 constituents just by what I had already written down. 

The actual primary source I used was the main focus of my blog post. Although the source was a series of studies on whether taking notes on a laptop was more or less effective than by hand, I decided to broaden that topic as a whole, and adapt it to a more public sphere. In order to do this, I generalized it, as Fahnestock’s article claims tends to happen when adapting a scientific article. My new main idea was that technology is hindering our generation from learning, and that doing things manually has its benefits, despite the lack of convenience in doing them.

Works Cited

Fahnestock, Jeanne. "Accommodating Science: The Rhetorical Life of Scientific Facts." Sage Publications, 1986. Web. 25 Sept. 2014.

Grant-Davie, Keith. "Rhetorical Situations and Their Constituents." Rhetoric Review, Spring, 1997. Web. 25 Sept. 2014.

Misner, Jared. "Too Many Campus Alerts? Officials Worry That Students Tune Them Out."The Chronicle of Higher Education. 19 Sept. 2014. Web. 25 Sept. 2014.

Mueller, Pam, and Daniel Oppenheimer. "The Pen Is Mightier Than the Keyboard: Advantages of Longhand Over Laptop Note Taking." Psychological Science. Sage Publications, 23 Apr. 2014. Web. 25 Sept. 2014.

                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment